Nectar vs Purple: what are the differences & which mattress is better for you? The short answer is that Nectar was designed for sleepers on a budget who love memory foam mattresses and like their beds a little more on the soft side. Purple mattress is the perfect choice for you if you can afford to splurge a little more, and if you want to be spoiled by its gel-like consistency that also allows more air-flow.
Keep reading to see how these two compare in construction, comfort, motion transfer, sinking and bouncing and much more.
Nectar vs Purple: Quick Review
Please note – this review of the Nectar vs Purple mattresses is only concerned with the flagship models.
Nectar vs Purple Mattress – Key Differences
Reviewing these two fantastic mattresses will teach you one thing. That they are as different as night and day. This is great news for you because learning about their differences will help you decide which one to buy!
The construction of the mattresses
Layers of the Nectar mattress:
- The cover is made of cotton and a fabric called Tencel and infused with a thin layer of gel memory foam which makes it very breathable and which will keep you cool.
- The comfort layer is three inches tall and made entirely of memory foam. Seeing as it’s so tall, it is primarily responsible for cushioning your body and making you ‘sink’ into the mattress.
- The transition layer is a firmer piece of memory foam that sits underneath the comfort layer.
- The foundation layer is made of high density poly foam and measures six inches. It will add stability and shape to your Nectar mattress.
Layers of the Purple mattress:
- The cover is made of spandex and polyester which makes it very breathable as well as stretchy and thick.
- The comfort layer is where the true innovation lays. Here you will find the brand’s patented Smart Comfort Grid™ which consists of hyperelastic polymer. This is a neutral material from a temperature point of view which will keep you cool and take the shape of your body as you move.
- The transition layer is also made of poly foam and is 4 inches tall so that it can separate the layers and add extra comfort.
- The foundation layer is similar to the transition layer and it will stabilize the entire construct of the Purple mattress. The result is that you, the sleeper, will rest on top of this sandwich of poly layers rather than sink into them.
Comfort and Firmness
These are two highly debated notions. Comfort is, of course, subjective. It’s entirely up to you! But what we can do is review how the Nectar vs Purple mattresses behave in terms of firmness. That plus the info above on how they’re constructed should tell you if they’re comfortable for you or not.
The Nectar mattress is considered to be a soft to medium mattress. The reason is that the Nectar is, of course, an all-foam mattress with several different layers of memory foam. Not only that, but the mattress itself was designed to allow you to sink into it and feel as if you’re getting a giant hug.
On the other hand, the Purple mattress sits on the opposite spectrum. It is made of hyperelastic polymer set into a patented grid which the brand has invented. The underneath layers are made of polyfoam which rather than allowing you to sink in, will hold you on top.
There are two benefits to this – you won’t sweat during the night and the Purple mattress can help relieve the pressure and pain in your muscles and joints.
Let’s crown a winner in this category! According to reviews and people who have used both mattresses, the Nectar is best for couples.
The layers of memory foam absorb motion much better than the Purple’s polymer grid. So if you’re thinking about not disturbing your loved one, in the Nectar vs Purple battle, the first one takes the cake!
Sinking and bouncing
The Nectar has to win this one as well. Not entirely unexpectedly since the mattress also won the motion transfer war. When you lay on the Nectar mattress, you will experience a feeling of sinking in, as it was designed for this. The Purple is meant to keep you afloat all night long so that you don’t sweat. Which brings us to this.
Nectar vs Purple – Sweat and Cooling Off
Here’s where the Purple shines! To put it simply, hyper-elastic polymer, the mattress’s primary material is a very cool fabric that will never trap heat as opposed to memory foam.
Apart from that, the fabric is used in a grid pattern inside the mattress. This allows for far superior airflow than in any memory foam mattress on the market.
The columns and rows in the grid will let air travel all the way to the surface, cooling you and wicking your sweat as it does. So, Nectar vs Purple? Purple, please!
Budget Issues – What Do I Need to Know?
Seeing as the Nectar is an all-foam, memory foam mattress, it’s quite clear that it is the cheaper option out of the two. In fact, the Nectar is cheaper than any of the three mattresses that the Purple brand currently offers.
The reason is that the Purple mattresses are made of different materials and the unique idea behind them is trademarked.
However, it’s all up to you because these are two very different products. If you’re on a budget and are looking for a memory foam mattress, the Nectar will suit you well.
If you need a more technologically advanced bed made of more intricate materials and that has cooling abilities, go for the Purple. But it will cost you more!
If you want more details about the Nectar vs Purple price-wise, please visit the links below.
Nectar mattress – Check Current Price
Purple mattress – Check Current Price
Warranty and Delivery Options
If warranty is what you’re interested in, as you should be like the savvy shopper that you are then the Nectar mattress offers a deal like no other on the market. Upon purchase, you will receive a lifetime guaranteed warranty from the Nectar company as well as a 365-nights sleeping trial.
Please keep in mind that the first 10 years of the warranty have some fees attached to them. If you want to send your mattress in for a replacement or a repair, the company will bill you half the shipping fee. However, if they determine the mattress actually has as problem, the fee will be waived.
The Purple company offers a 10-year warranty, the same as most other brands on the market plus a 100-nights sleeping trial upon purchase. This might sound less than what the Nectar offers. But keep in mind that their poly grid materials won’t sag over time as much as the memory foam will.
Returns, Refunds, and Shipping Policies
Modern shoppers require modern solutions, such as shopping online. So let’s see what these two companies can offer in terms of shipping policies.
Both brands offer free shipping as long as you live in the contiguous USA. If you live in Hawaii or Alaska, you will still be able to order both the Nectar and the Purple but they will charge you extra fees for shipping.
Returns are free as well for both brands. However, the Purple company will not offer a mattress removal service. The Nectar brand does have a White Glove service for all states but it is not refundable for Alaska and Hawaii.
Nectar and Purple Pros and Cons
We’ve made it to everyone’s favorite part of the Nectar vs Purple review – the pros and cons list. No dedicated shopper should ever make such a serious purchase without at least glancing at a pros and cons list. This is your sleep hygiene we’re talking about!
- The mattress doesn’t allow you to roll off the edge because it has an edged support. This exact same feature will make sure your mattress lasts longer by preventing any wear and tear.
- You can remove the cover of the mattress and clean it in your washing machine.
- There will be no need to air out a Nectar mattress because it doesn’t have a specific smell.
- You will get a lifetime warranty as well as a 365-night sleep trial which is unique in the industry.
- The mattress is great for back and side sleepers who will find relief in its softness.
- The memory foam will allow you to sink into the mattress, ‘hugging’ you while you sleep.
- You can clean the cover but you can’t replace it with one of your own.
- You may opt for financing if you don’t have the budget to pay for a nectar mattress, but the company will charge you extra.
- It is not appropriate for stomach sleepers who might have trouble breathing because the mattress is too soft.
What’s the conclusion?
The Nectar mattress is a fantastic choice if you’re on a budget and you need a memory foam mattress perfect for a combo sleeper. However, the review shows that you would do better with another option if you sleep on your stomach or if you need a firmer mattress.
- It’s perfect for all types of sleepers – back, stomach, and side sleepers.
- The Purple mattress is a medium to firm mattress, which means it can alleviate some of the pressure you are feeling in your joints or muscles.
- The mattress is made of hyper elastic polymer which does not store heat. As a result, you will not sweat during the night.
- It was made after a patented design that the company invented which lays the elastic polymer into a grid. Therefore, the air is free to circulate within the cells of the grid, wicking your sweat and keeping you cool.
- The layers of poly foam will take the shape of your body and move with you while you rest, making it similar to sleeping on sand or water.
- The mattress can support sleepers of any weight.
- It costs more than the Nectar.
- The mattress does not take motion transfer very well, which means you might disturb your sleeping partner.
- If you weigh less than 130 pounds, this mattress could feel a little too firm for you.
What’s the conclusion?
The Purple mattress will be a heavenly choice for every hot sleeper or night time heavy sweater out there. It was designed to allow air to flow freely through it so that you won’t ever have to feel warm again.
However, if you know that either you or your partner are prone to waking up easily because of motion in the bed or if you weigh less than 130 pounds, than the Purple mattress might pose a few problems.
About the Nectar Company
Nectar started producing mattresses in 2017 under a parent company called Resident. They were inspired ‘by sleepers like you’ to create amazing mattresses that everyone could enjoy.
Today, the Nectar company screens and selects its manufacturers very carefully from all over the world. They are keen on using only the best materials when creating their mattresses.
Just like they mention on their official website, every single mattress they produce is tested so that you only receive top of the line products which will improve your sleep routine!
About the Purple Company
Brothers Tony and Terry Pierce invented the hyper-elastic polymer in 1989. Tony had 13 years of experience in the field of advanced aerospace materials while Terry had been doing manufacturing and design for 20 years.
They soon realized they could put it to good use so they started making and selling just about everything from ballet cushions to knee pads.
The leap from that to mattresses was a logical one. In 2013, the brothers decided to try and make the best mattress in the world. And they came up with the Purple. They wanted to make it much more affordable than anything else on the market for its respective quality as well as very healthy.
Oh, and they named it Purple because this is the color of royalty and everyone should feel like a King or Queen in bed!
The exhaustive review of the Nectar vs Purple can only bring us to one conclusion. That they are two very different mattresses, designed with two distinct ideas in mind.
So which one should you get – Nectar vs Purple?
It all depends on what you’re looking for. Nectar mattress is intended for people who want to sink into their mattresses and feel like they are enveloped in memory foam.
The Purple is a slightly more expensive option but with a lot more technique behind it, unique materials, and the capability of keeping you cool throughout the night.
Have you decided yet, sleepers?