Recently, I noticed that, slowly but surely, bamboo pillows are gaining loyal followers that attest to the many advantages of using this type of pillow. So, out of curiosity, I went ahead and did my research on the different bamboo pillow benefits. Here’s what I found out.
Bamboo pillows are suitable for hot sleepers, people with allergies or sensitive skin and people looking for support. This is because this type of pillow is breathable, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial and flexible. Its other benefits include being environmentally-friendly and absorbent.
What Are Bamboo Pillows Like?
Just as its name suggests, bamboo sleeping pillows are partly made from bamboo. The cover is made from bamboo viscose while the filling is usually made of shredded memory foam.
The combination of the two allows for a better sleeping experience since the pillow fabric is breathable while the filling can offer exceptional support.
Bamboo Pillow Pros and Cons
- Hypoallergenic – The top reason why bamboo pillows are so popular is that they’re made from organic materials. No one wants their skin to constantly be in contact with a product that’s been made harmful materials. Also, since it is made from bamboo viscose, it is naturally hypoallergenic.
- Breathable – Another pro of bamboo pillow is that its fiber is super light and breathable. This makes it a good choice for hot sleepers and for people who live in places with warm climates.
- Flexible – Bamboo pillows often come with a zipper covered and shredded foam filling. This makes it very easy to adjust so that you can always get a good night’s rest no matter your sleeping position.
- Antimicrobial – The bamboo pillow’s antimicrobial properties also make it a popular choice especially for people with sensitive skin and allergies. It can also protect you against dust mites, fungus, bacteria and other infestations for a worry-free sleep.
- Absorbent – Aside from being breathable, this type of pillow is absorbent and can neutralize any unpleasant smell. This means that you can go to bed each night knowing that a fresh-smelling and clean pillow is waiting for you.
- Environmentally Friendly – Bamboo can grow almost anywhere and can adapt to varying water levels. It also doesn’t need fertilizers or pesticides.
- Some people do complain about the smell of the pillow when they first receive it. This usually comes from the compressed memory foam. It isn’t harmful, but some people can find the smell off-putting. The good news is that this smell goes away after a couple of days.
- Bamboo pillows are rather heavy
What Are the Best Bamboo Pillows in 2018?
Here are two bamboo pillows that you need to check out if you’re interested in taking advantage of this type of pillow.
The USA-made Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover is a crowd-favorite that has thousands of good reviews on Amazon for good reason.
This breathable pillow has a nice bamboo cover and is filled with Certipur-US certified shredded Visco elastic memory foam.
This means that the foam used has been tested to have no ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead and heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
You can also adjust it to suit your needs by removing or adding more foam to this hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant pillow. Even better, it comes with a 5-year warranty and a 100-day money back guarantee.
- Comes in queen and king sizes
- Made with CertiPur-US Certified foam
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Comes with a 100-day money back guarantee and a 5-year warranty
- Has an unpleasant odor upon opening but it goes away after a couple of days
Read more reviews on Amazon
Another bamboo pillow worth checking out is the popular Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.
You’ll have a cool sleep each night thanks to its Kool-Flow extra breathable, micro-vented bamboo cover.
On the other hand, for its filling, it uses Biogreen & Certipur-US certified foam that has been tested to be free from ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
Made in the USA, this hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant bamboo pillow comes with a 120-day money back guarantee and amazing 20-year warranty.
- Comes in 3 sizes
- Made with Biogreen and CertiPur-US Certified foam
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Comes with a 120-day money back guarantee and a 20-year warranty
- Some people find it to be too firm
Read more reviews on Amazon
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bamboo pillow hypoallergenic?
Bamboo pillows are naturally hypoallergenic and are gentler on the skin than other types of pillow. Plus, it has antimicrobial properties that make it resistant to dust mites and pest and fungal infestations.
How do I fluff up my bamboo pillow?
Bamboo pillows are compressed when they are packaged to save space. Just let it sit for a couple of days and it will naturally revert to its original shape.
However, you can speed up the process by placing your bamboo pillow in your dryer and letting it run on low heat for about 20 minutes.
Can you wash your bamboo pillow?
It’s always best to check if your bamboo pillow comes with cleaning instructions.
If there are none, you can wash the filling by hand in some lukewarm water and mild, non-bleach detergent. Then, just leave it to dry under the sun.
How often you wash the filling would depend on your preference and if you have allergies or a sensitive skin. A good average is to wash it once every 2-4 months.
The bamboo cover should be washed more often. Check the cleaning instructions in case the cover you have shrinks. But, in general, you can machine wash it on a gentle cycle and machine dry it on low.
How long does it take for a bamboo pillow to expand?
It only takes a couple of days for a compressed bamboo pillow to expand. But, you can always use the technique I mentioned to speed up the process.
What is so special about bamboo pillows?
Bamboo pillows are special because there are so many advantages to using it. This includes its breathability, flexibility, and antimicrobial properties. It is also hypoallergenic, absorbent and environmentally friendly.
Bamboo pillows are an ideal solution for people looking for blissful nights of sleep. If you’re interested in taking advantage of the many benefits of the bamboo pillow, I highly recommend the Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover.
It is a reasonably-priced product that has all the touted benefits of bamboo pillows.
But, if you’re looking for more options in terms of sizes, check out the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.
It is a very breathable bamboo pillow that is backed with an industry-leading 20-year warranty.