If you love foam mattresses then this is the review for you! We are taking to battle two crowd favorites – GhostBed and Nectar in a super exhaustive review all for your benefit. The reason is, of course, that we want to find out what exactly sets them apart, what makes them so loved, and which one of these amazing mattresses is best for you and your needs. Let’s go!
GhostBed vs Nectar – what are the key differences and which mattress is better for you? The short answer is that even though they may look similar at first glance, the two foam mattresses are designed for different needs. For example, the Nectar is all about sinkability and body contour thanks to its thick layer of memory foam. That’s why side sleepers love it so much. GhostBed mattress will give you more of a balanced feel, making it better suited for combo sleepers.
Please note – This review of the GhostBed vs Nectar mattresses will only be looking at the flagship models. While the brand Nectar does not produce any other mattresses than the one mentioned here, GhostBed does make another one – the GhostBed Luxe. As the name suggests, you can think of it as a more luxurious version of the mattress reviewed in this piece. However, since that is not our object of interest in this article, you can see more details here about GhostBed Luxe.
GhostBed vs Nectar: Comparison Table
GhostBed vs Nectar: Key Differences
Since both of these mattresses are made of memory foam, it would be super easy to dump them in the same category and move on. But what a mistake that would be! In fact, when you take a closer look at these two little works of modern ingenuity, you will notice just how different they are. Let’s review!
Difference in construction
If we want to understand how the two are constructed, we have to deconstruct them. Yes, the irony is not lost on us.
The Nectar mattress has the following layers
- The cover which is made of Tencel, cotton, and a thin layer of gel memory foam. The Tencel is responsible for the cover’s breathability and softness while the gel memory foam will make sure you are cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- The comfort layer made of three inches of memory foam. This is a unique trait that the Nectar mattress has since it uses a much thicker layer of memory foam than other manufacturers. The result is a feeling of ‘body contouring’ which will have you sinking into the mattress rather than sitting on top of it. Therefore, if you’re a side sleeper, you’ve just found your match!
- The transition layer is made of, you’ve guessed it, more memory foam! But this is a firmer layer, meant to give you some support.
- The foundation layer is made of six inches of poly foam of very high density and is responsible for the mattresses shape and stability.
Layers that make up the GhostBed Mattress
- The cover is a combination of polyester and viscose. The result is a very stretchy fabric that will never bunch up, no matter how much you move while you sleep. Plus, its thinness assures a fantastic airflow.
- The comfort layer is made of latex foam that, in opposition to the Nectar mattress, will keep you floating on top rather than have you sinking in. You will have all the mobility you want, plus fantastic back support.
- The compression layer sums up two inches of gel memory foam that is there to provide pressure relief and a fair amount of sinkage for your body. Though not as much as the Nectar, of course.
- The foundation layer is also made of polyfoam but is higher than the Nectar’s. The result is that the GhostBed is a much firmer mattress.
Comfort and Firmness
And since we’re already on that topic, let’s see a few more details about the firmness and comfort that each of the mattresses can provide. As we’ve already seen, the way the two mattresses are constructed really says it all when it comes to firmness.
The Nectar is made of layers upon layers of memory foam and was aimed at making you sink into it as you sleep. Therefore, as far as firmness goes, the Nectar is more on the soft side. Whereas the GhostBed has latex and gel memory foam in between its layers and a much higher foundation. Therefore, it will be much firmer than the Nectar.
Comfort, on the other hand, is a very personal and subjective notion. Given all the information we’ve just given you on the GhostBed vs Nectar firmness topic, you get to decide which one would be the most comfortable for you!
Sharing a mattress – Notion of motion
Everyone who has ever shared a bed knows how important motion transfer is. So let’s see how the GhostBed vs Nectar stand up to this test.
While both mattresses will fare pretty well since they are both made of memory foam, you should know that the winner in this category is the Nectar. Mostly because it’s made only of memory foam, which means it will absorb your or your partner’s tossing and turning.
Sinking and Bounce
That’s a good question too. And, as the GhostBed vs Nectar review has shown, you might be surprised with the results!
The amount of sinkage is not very different between the two mattresses. Of course, a slight lead must be given to the Nectar because it was made for you to ‘sink’ into it, but it’s not by much!
Regulating Body Temperature and Cooling
There is no doubt about the fact that the winner of this category is the GhostBed mattress. Is has a series of memory foam layers interlaced with latex and wrapped in a Tencel cooling cover that is going to meet all your needs if you’re a hot sleeper.
Tencel covers are specially designed to wick sweat and moisture and to regulate your body heat no matter what conditions you might be sleeping in.
Therefore, if coolness is what you’re looking for, go with the GhostBed mattress!
GhostBed vs Nectar – Budget Talk
Yes, both mattresses are fantastic in their own right and they can serve you well depending on what needs you have. But when it comes to reviewing these wonderful sleeping gadgets, you also need to take your budget into account. So which one would fit you best?
Here’s the good news! All the options for both mattresses are well under the $1000 mark. But which one is the cheapest?
Drumroll, please! We have a winner! It’s Nectar! Yes, all of its options, including Queen, King, Full, Twin, and California King Size are less expensive than the GhostBed Mattress.
If you need more details about both these fantastic mattresses and all of their options price-wise please check out these links.
Nectar mattress – Check Current Price
GhostBed mattress – Check Current Price
Warranty & Delivery Options
When you buy a GhostBed mattress, you will be treated to a 101-night’s sleep trial during which you can decide whether or not you really want to buy the mattress.
Please be aware that the sleep trail will not be available if you buy the mattress through discount websites such as Groupon.
If you actually buy the product, then you get a 20-year warranty with your GhostBed mattress. But keep in mind there are some terms and conditions with that.
Most importantly, the first 10 years are standard, meaning that the parent company will replace or repair your mattress if you ask them to. However, during the next 10 years, you will have to pay for half of the expenses.
And the sum keeps going up by 5% every year. This means that by year 20 of your warranty, you will have to pay 95% of what the mattress cost originally.
Let’s take a look at what the Nectar brings to the table in terms of the warranty. They give you a 365 night sleep trial, which is longer than most brands out there. But you’ll be really happy to find out that the warranty for the Nectar mattress is for life!
The only caveat is that after the first 10 years if you send the mattress in, you will have to pay half of the transportation cost.
However, if the mattress actually is damaged, they will give you the money back.
What about returns and refunds?
You can return both mattresses either during the sleep trial period they offer or after. Please be aware that there might be some transportation fees depending on the state of the mattress.
GhostBed vs Nectar: Pros and Cons
No GhostBed or Nectar review would be complete without taking a look at their individual pros and cons. So let’s dive right in!
- Fantastic pressure relieving properties that will make you feel as if you’re floating on the mattress.
- It can help align your spine which, in turn, will reduce the pain you are experiencing in your back and neck.
- The shipping is very fast and straight to your door, so you don’t have to worry about anything.
- There is almost no motion transfer, which means that you can choose this mattress if you are sleeping with your partner on it.
- Even though it’s a medium mattress firm wise, some heavier set users have reported that they sink into it rather than float on top. They also state that movement on the mattress is more difficult if you are heavy.
- Seeing as this is a mattress meant to align your spine, it’s perfect if you’re a back and side sleeper. Stomach sleepers might have to look for another solution better fitted to their needs.
- Even though the mattress will be delivered to your home that is where the service stops. As a consequence, you will be responsible for getting it inside, unpacking it, and setting it up.
So what’s the conclusion?
Go for the GhostBed mattress if you are a side or back sleeper who loves a medium mattress firm wise who is not heavy set. The mattress will work fantastically for you if you have back or neck pains as it will align your spine and relieve your pressure points.
GhostBed may not be suitable for you if you are a heavy set person who likes to sleep on their stomach. Should that be the case, you might sink into the mattress instead of ‘hovering’ on top of it. Movement might also be difficult as will be sleeping on your belly.
- The mattress has edge support that will prevent you from rolling off while your sleep. It also helps the mattress itself not wearing out prematurely.
- You can take off its cover and clean it in the washing machine.
- Unlike most foam mattresses which have a smell and require airing out before using, the Nectar is ready to be slept on as soon as you unbox it.
- It comes with a year-long sleep trial and never before seen lifelong warranty.
- The mattress is adequate for all types of sleepers.
- Even though you can clean your cover, you can’t replace it with another.
- You can opt for financing with the Nectar Company for purchasing the mattress. But it will come with additional charges.
- Seeing as the mattress is made of unique materials proprietary to this brand, it might take you some time to get used to sleeping on it.
So what’s the conclusion?
Go for the Nectar mattress if you love soft mattresses that you can sink into and which give you the feeling of being enveloped into memory foam. The mattress will also be perfect for you no matter what position you sleep in.
Nectar may not be suitable for you if you have back and neck pains since the softness of the mattress might not help align your spine. It might also not be the mattress you are looking for if you are a hot or sweaty sleeper since its many layers of memory foam can trap heat.
About the GhostBed Company
The story of GhostBed is super interesting. The founder of the company is deeply involved with the world of creative inventions over the 20th century.
In fact, at the beginning of the 20th century, it was his family that invented the first aluminum ladder as well as the first type of fiberglass. They formed what was called the Werner Ladder Company which is still, to this day, viewed as the best company in the world for making ladders.
So where do mattresses factor into a family that made ladders? In 2001, the founder of GhostBed, Mac Werner, of the famous family of inventors, went through a series of neck surgeries.
As he was recovering, he was disappointed to discover none of the mattresses available on the market at that point in time could relieve the pain he was feeling.
Not to mention that he, just like everyone else, felt like the process of buying a mattress was a hassle on its own. When it should have been quick and easy.
Therefore, in 2015, Werner created his own high-quality mattresses and pillows that would align your neck and spine and that would have cooling properties. And that’s how the GhostBed came to be!
About the Nectar Company
The Nectar Company was created in 2017 and is a part of the Resident umbrella of brands. As they state on their official website, the team at Nectar was inspired ‘by sleepers like you’ to start creating high-quality mattresses.
The company uses premium materials that they ship in from all over the world, from carefully selected manufacturers. Their factories all adhere to the strictest protocols so that you can get only the best when it comes to sleeping arrangements.
Every single mattress that comes out of the Nectar Company production line is tested so that you can get the best sleep of your life!
It goes without saying that the two mattresses covered in this review are amazing choices for anyone out there who is looking to improve their sleep hygiene. They are both outstanding mattresses designed to fix your problems and offer you a good night’s sleep like you’ve never had before.
GhostBed vs Nectar: so, which one should you get?!
The GhostBed vs Nectar mattress review revealed one thing. Since both mattresses are meant for different users and offer distinct aspects, you have a clear and cut choice before you. If you’re a side sleeper, you will need the GhostBed, but if you love to sleep on your stomach as well, try the Nectar mattress.
Levels of comfort? Well, if you want to feel like your mattress is giving you a giant hug, you definitely need to go for the Nectar because its layers of memory foam and its luxurious cover will make you feel like you’re in heaven.
But if you need to alleviate your neck and back pains, if you’re a hot sleeper or if you sweat, then the GhostBed with its gel memory foam and Tencel cooling cover has your name all over it!